Another record for WA at National Tourism Awards
1 March 2019
Western Australian tourism businesses have taken home a record number of medals for the State at the 2018 Qantas Australian Tourism Awards held in Launceston tonight.
The record haul included eight gold medals, two silver medals and six bronze medals, making it the State’s most successful National Awards appearance in the program’s 30-plus year history, beating the previous record set last year.
The Gold Medals were awarded to:
• The Beach House at Bayside – Hosted Accommodation
• Go Cultural Aboriginal Tours & Experiences – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Tourism
• Horizontal Falls Seaplane Adventures – Adventure Tourism
• Horizontal Falls Seaplane Adventures – Tourist Attractions
• Horizontal Falls Seaplane Adventures – The Horizontal Hotel – Unique Accommodation
• Kimberley Quest – Tour and Transport Operators
• Swan Valley Visitor Centre – Visitor Information Services
• Two Feet & a Heartbeat – Excellence in Food Tourism
Tourism Council WA CEO Evan Hall said Western Australia’s success showed what the industry was capable of when new proposals were approved.
“When the State Government works with the tourism industry to approve new product and experiences, the industry is capable of developing exceptional, nation-leading product,” he said.
“Among tonight’s winners are innovative experiences developed over time. Unfortunately, many of these innovative experiences, if proposed today, would not receive State Government approval. It is critical that the tourism industry is allowed and encouraged to develop new tourism product providing unique experiences to visitors.
“We are delighted that Western Australia has finally taken out the Gold Medal in the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Tourism category. Our unique Aboriginal culture is a compelling part of the WA tourism story. It is critical that Government continues to support the development of new Aboriginal tourism experiences.
“I’d like to congratulate all of tonight’s WA winners and finalists on their commitment to business innovation and excellence.”
The Gold Medals for North West business Horizontal Falls Seaplane Adventures (Adventure Tourism) and Albany’s The Beach House at Bayside (Hosted Accommodation) are the third consecutive National wins for each business, resulting in both businesses being inducted into the Hall of Fame at tonight’s ceremony.
Silver and Bronze medals were awarded to the following WA businesses:
• CinefestOZ – Festivals and Events (Silver)
• Sandalford Wines – Tourism Restaurants and Catering Services (Silver)
• Balingup Heights Hilltop Forest Cottages – Self-Contained Accommodation (Bronze)
• Busselton Jetty – Major Tourist Attractions (Bronze)
• Fremantle Prison – Cultural Tourism (Bronze)
• Kununurra Country Club Resort – Deluxe Accommodation (Bronze)
• RAC Cervantes Holiday Park – Caravan and Holiday Parks (Bronze)
• Willie Creek Pearls at Elizabeth Quay – Specialised Tourism Services (Bronze)
- Ends –
For media enquiries please contact Tourism Council WA Corporate Affairs Manager Leslee Hall lhall@tourismcouncilwa.