Industry salutes Hames as an extraordinary Tourism Minister
22 July 2013
Tourism Council WA CEO Evan Hall has saluted Dr Kim Hames as an extraordinary Tourism Minister and thanked him for his hard work during tough times for the tourism industry.
With mining slowing down and the Australian dollar falling, the tourism recovery is now at a make or break point. The industry wants the Governments good work to continue without interruption and welcomes the Premiers decision to personally fill the tourism post at this critical time.
“A good Tourism Minister understands that 90,000 jobs depend on how many visitors turn up in WA each year” said Mr Hall
“Minister Hames understood that tourism is about economic development, jobs and businesses across the state” said Mr Hall.
“We now look forward to working with the Premier to implement his election commitment of $6 million p.a. additional tourism funding” said Mr Hall
“This funding is crucial to attracting visitors and keeping tourism business and jobs growing across WA as mining tapers off.” said Mr Hall
Tourism Council WA thanked Minister Hames for his hard work notably:
- Announcing the $6 million p.a. election boost to tourism ($24 million over 4 years).
- Establishing the Hotel Incentive Policy to address hotel shortages.
- Developing new air services and international markets, particularly into China.
- Advocating tourism reforms with other state and federal ministers.
- Meeting monthly with the industry and listening on the issues.
- Promoting the value of tourism in cabinet and to the public.
“I’ve worked with many Tourism Ministers in many states, and Hames was one of the best” said Mr Hall
- Ends -